December 2, 2014

First Weeks at the MTC

So, Sister Wright has asked me, her Dad, to update her blog while she is away.  She has sent me what she wants posted for this first entry while at the MTC:
Enjoy, Travis

I am almost two weeks old now!  I can't believe how much time has flown since I've been here.  The schedule is pretty rigid and rigorous. We work so hard.  I don't even have time to think about what time it is!  All the days seem to meld into one another.   My sense of time has been seriously distorted!  In itself, that has been a blessing because the Spirit has helped me to focus on the work instead of other frivolous things.

When I first arrived at the MTC, I really struggled with the language (obviously), sleeping, and eating.  The stress was overwhelming and not being able to sleep or eat just added to it.  I tried my best, but I couldn't overcome them.  I could not comfort myself.  When I arrived at that point, I realized that something needed to change.  That something was me.

Those who know me well, know that I love to overwork myself.  It's like I seek out stress sometimes.  I always am able to handle those situations.  I wasn't able to this time.  I quickly arrived at the conclusion that I needed help from my Father in Heaven or the MTC was going to eat me alive.

I started praying for peace and assistance many times a day.  It didn't change things instantly, but gradually I was able to calm down, eat, and sleep!  I 'm happy to report that I sleep through the night and fall asleep almost instantly when I get into bed!

I know that I was blessed by my Heavenly Father!  I can prove it by the amount of Portuguese I know.  Languages are not my forte, but through the gift of tongues, I am able to adequately pray, bear my testimony, and have simplistic conversations.  I have only been studying Portuguese for 12 days! If that isn't a testimony of the power of the spirit, I don't know what is.

Many times I have felt very inadequate to be teaching God's children in Brazil. I know I'm not going to have a firm grasp on the language by the time I get down there, so why did God call me there?  Honestly, I don't know why Heavenly Father wants me in Brazil.  However, I do know that He needs me there.  This is my Father in Heaven's work.  It's not Janika's work.   He will use me to touch the hearts of His children that no one else can.  He has a glorious plan for me and although I don't know most of it, I must trust Him.  My Father in Heaven knows what He is doing.  "I'll go where you want me to go dear Lord."

Though I am inadequate, through the Spirit, weak things will be made strong.  Our Heavenly Father never asks us to do something that we cannot handle.  Never.  My Father in Heaven knows that I can and will learn Portuguese.  My heart is full of gratitude and love today.  I feel that consistent peace that the Spirit brings.  I need that peace.  We all need that peace because there is no other way we can obtain it.  The peace of our Father in Heaven cannot come from any worldly source.  I invite you to draw near to God and our Savior, Jesus Christ.  They love you deeply and want to aid you.  Let them!

I also invite you to pray for the missionaries.  They need it.  This is a difficult work.  It will bless them tremendously, but it will also bless you.  I testify that once you received the blessings that accompany drawing close to the Lord, you will never want to be without them.

Eu sei que a Irgeja de Jesus Cristo Dos Santo dos Ultimos dias e verdadera!  Eu sei que Deus e Jesus Cristo amorao nos.  Eles desijao nos orar.  Joseph Smith e um profeta de Deus.  O liuvo de Mormon e verdaderd.

Amorao voces!

Sister Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik