June 15, 2015

Enabling power of the Atonement

This week I am so grateful for the Atonement. One thing that we have to teach people about the Atonement as missionaries is that it is not just something we turn to when we have done something wrong. There is also an enabling power of the Atonement. It was this enabling power that I'm grateful for this week. 

It has been a little frustrating learning Portuguese. I was impatient with myself that I wasn't picking things up quicker. I just wanted to be able to communicate with people. I wasn't using the Atonement. I had a negative attitude and was trying to learn without the help of my Savior. When I realized what was happening I had to quickly repent! I prayed for humility, patience, the gift of tongues, and most importantly charity.

I am here learning this language to help other people, not for myself. I forgot that its not about me! I turned inward instead of outward. It is so easy to do! I have a strong testimony of the fact that our hardships are to refine us into people who turn outward in love and charity toward the people that surround us like our Savior did.

Once I started relying fully on the Atonement to learn Portuguese several things happened. The first was that I was able to understand a lot more of what was going on. Second, I was much happier. Thirdly, I am able to focus on the needs of others during the day rather than stressing out about trying to cram Portuguese into my brain! I was truly enabled this past week. I know that Christ wants everyone to be blessed by this enabling power, That's why we have missionaries. I know that the happiness that comes from the Atonement is available to everyone that will accept Christ by living His gospel. His arms are always open to lighten our burdens. The only things standing in our way of receiving His love is ourselves!

I invite you all to take a moment and inventory what things you are struggling with right now. Then make a choice to turn those things over to the Lord. Choose to be made whole through His Atonement. Pray for strength and I testify you will receive it!
--
Irmã Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik